Friday, June 1, 2012

I do not get paid for the work I do, and I am okay with that. (Why, yes, this is going to be a little bit of a rant...)


So, let's talk about that for a minute, and why I can so boldly make the above statement.


One. I am a full time mother, and I chose it. Mothering a child is a full time job, regardless if you have a paying job. As mothers we become many things, which we usually have no experience with until that baby comes home from the hospital. However, I do not believe mothers should be paid to be mothers. A mother's pay is snuggles and sloppy kisses, and unconditional love. And that is sufficient. 


Two. I am a volunteer. Note, I say volunteer. I am the Parent Support Coordinator for Avery's Angels® Gastroschisis Foundation. I help parents who are just learning that their children will be born with gastroschisis find support with parents who have already been through their journey, or are in a comfortable place to be able to provide support to another family while addressing their own families needs. The support is not limited to expectant parents, however; support is available to anyone affected by gastroschisis whether they are parents, grandparents, or survivors themselves.


This position I have volunteered for can be tedious and time consuming. I am always on my phone, texting and emailing with people for the organization, keeping tabs on the things I am responsible for. I agreed to do this without pay, even if the skills and time I am utilizing are worthy of a paid position. 


I choose to do this because I believe in it. My daughter's life has been shaped by gastroschisis, and she has been very lucky. I want other families to hold on strong, and sometimes they need help finding their strength to do so. I have committed to this, it is my job- regardless if I am paid. I report to those who have higher authority, I have time frames to follow, and I have a level of professionalism that I must keep.


Would you go to a job interview, land a job, and then flake on it? If you just answered that question with a 'yes', you may leave now. 


With any job, you must hold a level of professionalism. Paid or unpaid. Following a dress code, rules, regulations, and keeping a professional face for the public eye. I can get away with wearing my pajamas, messy hair, and smelling of B.O. while I am checking my emails because you cannot see me. My professionalism is shown in my words. Now, if I am ever put in the situation of needing to speak to someone face to face, I promise I am clean smelling and dressed for the public eye ;). 


Sorry, this post is sort of a rant today. I did tell you that I would be writing about some things not necessarily about Nora. Sometimes a momma needs to rant and vent, ya know?









No comments:

Post a Comment